Discipler alongside those addicted (Betel internship) – UK
This is hands-on discipleship! Be Jesus to those longing to be free from addiction by working, living and worshipping alongside those whose broken lives are being restored.
Betel offers short and long-term internships opportunities to serve on worship teams, apply business skills in Betel’s charitable businesses, and more.
Whatever your skill, Betel’s diverse ministry environment will put it to work. Betel provides its workers with free board and lodging as a working member of our community.
More about internships with Betel betelinterns.org
Qualities & Gifts Sought
Betel offers short and long-term internship opportunities. We recommend a 6-month commitment for the maximum benefit of our internship programme.
Our ref 7639
About Betel – rescuing those addicted
Betel began in Madrid in 1985 when a small group of WEC missionaries began to care for the needs of drug addicts and marginalized people living on the streets.
Today Betel has become a global phenomenon, established in over 100 urban areas in 23 countries worldwide.
Betel’s mission is to bring long-term freedom and restoration to men and women broken by drug and alcohol abuse. Betel accomplish this by building values, skills and character through living, working and worshipping together in a caring Christian community.
Each Betel residential centre is run by men and women who have themselves experienced freedom from addiction.
‘Our end goal is to help people not only escape addiction, but become productive, trustworthy men and women of character when they leave our community.’
‘We believe that life is never hopeless.' Anthony heads up Betel Manchester. Read Anthony's story.
To find out how to get help for yourself or someone you know, please visit Coming to Betel.
More about Betel UK
About United Kingdom
The capital of the United Kingdom and its largest city London, is a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved administrations based in their capitals, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively. Other major urban areas in the UK include Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester.
Religious worldviews and unreached peoples in the UK
The population of the UK is around 65.4 million. 57% profess to be Christian and of those 7.91% are Evangelical. Other main religions and belief systems include: Islam - 4.1%, Hinduism - 2.8%, Pagan religions - 0.7%, Buddhism - 0.4%, Non-religious - 34.5%.
The UK contains around 105 distinct people groups, of whom 32 are currently unreached with the hope of the gospel.
[source Joshua Project]
WEC in the UK
WEC's work in the UK has a long history of training and sending Christian workers all over the world. WEC UK is committed to:
• Partnering with churches all over the UK to mobilise our members into ministry;
• Working cross-culturally to bring immigrant communities into Christian community Neighbours Worldwide;
• Encouraging and stimulating prayer for world missions, accurately researching the whole mission scene through the Operation World team;
• Offering opportunities for short-term missions exposure;
• Ministering to drug and alcohol addicts through the work of Betel;
• Working with churches to run World Adventure kids programmes and summer youth camps aiming to bring children to faith and to learn about their place in God’s world;
• Publishing strategic mission books and magazines;
• Hosting Mission & Me days to those wishing to explore God’s call to cross-cultural work.
Please pray with us for:
integration and support for refugees and immigrants
– a national awakening
– local churches sharing the good news of Jesus
– youth and childrens' work
[Operation World, 2010 print edition]
You can also pray for the UK using the online resource: Operation World.