English Classroom Assistant – UK Midlands
Join an exciting project, reaching out to the local immigrant communities in the West Midlands. Work as a volunteer, supporting an English teacher and getting alongside the adult students in a classroom situation.
Qualities & Gifts Sought
Knowledge of any South Asian language and of their culture would be an asset, but not required.
Our ref 1832
About Teaching English
Fluency in English provides students with a vital skill. By teaching English you have a chance to build relationships with students, and can provide opportunities to share the gospel.
You can use your TEFL or TESOL training on a short-term mission experience with WEC. Have an opportunity to travel and experience a new culture.
TEFL training: You can study English Teaching online, or gain qualifications with one of our partners, ChristianTEFL.org
Every year there are opportunities in Brazil to teach our trainee missionaries. Here's a taster:
Jacquie taught English in Guinea-Bissau on a short term mission with WEC. Read Jacquie's story.
Get in touch with our UK Short Term team about our latest opportunities.
About United Kingdom
The capital of the United Kingdom and its largest city London, is a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved administrations based in their capitals, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively. Other major urban areas in the UK include Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester.
Religious worldviews and unreached peoples in the UK
The population of the UK is around 65.4 million. 57% profess to be Christian and of those 7.91% are Evangelical. Other main religions and belief systems include: Islam - 4.1%, Hinduism - 2.8%, Pagan religions - 0.7%, Buddhism - 0.4%, Non-religious - 34.5%.
The UK contains around 105 distinct people groups, of whom 32 are currently unreached with the hope of the gospel.
[source Joshua Project]
WEC in the UK
WEC's work in the UK has a long history of training and sending Christian workers all over the world. WEC UK is committed to:
• Partnering with churches all over the UK to mobilise our members into ministry;
• Working cross-culturally to bring immigrant communities into Christian community Neighbours Worldwide;
• Encouraging and stimulating prayer for world missions, accurately researching the whole mission scene through the Operation World team;
• Offering opportunities for short-term missions exposure;
• Ministering to drug and alcohol addicts through the work of Betel;
• Working with churches to run World Adventure kids programmes and summer youth camps aiming to bring children to faith and to learn about their place in God’s world;
• Publishing strategic mission books and magazines;
• Hosting Mission & Me days to those wishing to explore God’s call to cross-cultural work.
Please pray with us for:
integration and support for refugees and immigrants
– a national awakening
– local churches sharing the good news of Jesus
– youth and childrens' work
[Operation World, 2010 print edition]
You can also pray for the UK using the online resource: Operation World.