English Classroom Assistant – UK Midlands
Join an exciting project, reaching out to the local immigrant communities in the West Midlands. Work as a volunteer, supporting an English teacher and getting alongside the adult students in a classroom situation.
Qualities & Gifts Sought
Knowledge of any South Asian language and of their culture would be an asset, but not required.
Our ref 1832
About Teaching English
Want to use your TEFL or TESOL training abroad? Teaching English provides the student with a vital skill, and offers the teacher a chance to build relationships and share the gospel.
You can study English Teaching online, or gain qualifications with one of our partners, ChristianTEFL.org
Jacquie taught English in Guinea-Bissau on a short term mission with WEC. Read Jacquie's story.
About United Kingdom
The capital of the United Kingdom and its largest city is London, a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved administrations based in their capitals, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively.
Other major urban areas in the UK include Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester.
The UK is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democracy. The monarch is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 1952, making her the longest-serving current head of state. Elizabeth II is also Queen of 15 other independent Commonwealth countries.
The UK is a developed country and has the world's sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP. The City of London is one of the world’s largest financial centres.
The UK is well known for its history of English literature and many novelists. William Shakespeare is widely regarded as the greatest dramatist of all time. Some other notable writers include: Geoffrey Chaucer, John Bunyan, John Milton, Daniel Defoe, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, George Eliot, Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir Walter Scott, George Orwell, Virginia Woolf, JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis and JK Rowling.
Britain’s oldest known poem, Y Gododdin (late 6th century) was written in Cumbric or Old Welsh and contains the earliest known reference to the legendary British leader King Arthur.
[source Wikipedia. Read more about the UK here].
The population of the UK is around 65.4 million, of whom 57% consider themselves Christian and of those 7.91% are evangelical.
The UK contains around 105 distinct people groups, of whom 32 are considered unreached.
[source Joshua Project]
WEC's work in the UK has a long history of training and sending Christian workers all over the world. WEC UK is committed to:
• Partnering with churches all over the UK to mobilise our members into ministry;
• Working cross-culturally to bring immigrant communities into Christian community Neighbours Worldwide;
• Encouraging and stimulating prayer for world missions, accurately researching the whole mission scene through the Operation World team
• Offering opportunities for short-term missions exposure
• Ministering to drug and alcohol addicts through the work of Betel;
• Working with churches to run World Adventure kids programmes and summer youth camps aiming to bring children to faith and to learn about their place in God’s world;
• Publishing strategic mission books and magazines;
• Hosting Mission & Me days to those wishing to explore God’s call to cross-cultural work.
Please pray with us for:
integration and support for refugees and immigrants
a national awakening
local churches sharing the good news of Jesus
youth and childrens' work
[Operation World, 2010 print edition]
Pray for the UK with the online edition of Operation World.