Healthcare Professional – England
As a healthcare professional join our Extra Mile team learning together to effectively share faith with Muslims.
Move into a Muslim neighbourhood in an English town, and work in this South Asian community perhaps as a health visitor, a midwifery nurse or a paramedic when you are most likely to rub shoulders with these families. Learn their culture and love them.
More about this community outreach project
Qualities & Gifts Sought
NHS-recognised qualifications, with a passion to reach Muslim families for Christ. Previous short-term mission in an Asian culture would be a great asset. Be willing to live sacrificially, to learn and keep learning.
Our ref 11348
About Medical ministry
WEC has been involved in medical work from its beginnings in the Congo, the Amazon and the Himalayas. Our members today run clinics and hospitals, offer expertise in fields like HIV-AIDS, ophthalmology, midwifery, dentistry, etc in several countries across Africa, Asia, and Central America.
One midwifery nurse writes: "Three mornings a week I work at a local hospital. Together with a local nurse we encourage women with newborn babies to breastfeed their infant. We have only a few minutes with each mother yet it is a great opportunity to share God’s love with these young women at a very special, precious and at the same time vulnerable moment of their lives."
About United Kingdom
The capital of the United Kingdom and its largest city London, is a global city and financial centre with an urban area population of 10.3 million, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved administrations based in their capitals, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast, respectively. Other major urban areas in the UK include Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester.
Religious worldviews and unreached peoples in the UK
The population of the UK is around 65.4 million. 57% profess to be Christian and of those 7.91% are Evangelical. Other main religions and belief systems include: Islam - 4.1%, Hinduism - 2.8%, Pagan religions - 0.7%, Buddhism - 0.4%, Non-religious - 34.5%.
The UK contains around 105 distinct people groups, of whom 32 are currently unreached with the hope of the gospel.
[source Joshua Project]
WEC in the UK
WEC's work in the UK has a long history of training and sending Christian workers all over the world. WEC UK is committed to:
• Partnering with churches all over the UK to mobilise our members into ministry;
• Working cross-culturally to bring immigrant communities into Christian community Neighbours Worldwide;
• Encouraging and stimulating prayer for world missions, accurately researching the whole mission scene through the Operation World team;
• Offering opportunities for short-term missions exposure;
• Ministering to drug and alcohol addicts through the work of Betel;
• Working with churches to run World Adventure kids programmes and summer youth camps aiming to bring children to faith and to learn about their place in God’s world;
• Publishing strategic mission books and magazines;
• Hosting Mission & Me days to those wishing to explore God’s call to cross-cultural work.
Please pray with us for:
integration and support for refugees and immigrants
– a national awakening
– local churches sharing the good news of Jesus
– youth and childrens' work
[Operation World, 2010 print edition]
You can also pray for the UK using the online resource: Operation World.