Essential pre-field training for anyone serving with children of missionaries and Third Culture Kids
Good preparation is essential to a successful experience for teachers, house parents, family tutors, other missionary kid (MK) staff and, most importantly, our children.
And what’s the difference between an MK and a TCK? MKs are the children of missionaries. TCKs are a larger group including other kids who live abroad because their parents are involved in the armed services, the diplomatic service or business. MKs usually come across other TCKs.
This training course is our second online pre-field orientation (PFO) course.
Participants can join us from many time zones and enjoy meeting other new MK workers from around the world.
Families are welcome.
- Introduction to Third Culture Kids (TCK's) and the reason for working with TCKs
- Serving in an international school, and in cross-cultural and generational teams
- Child protection
- International and Christian education
- Special educational needs
- Specific seminars for teachers, teaching assistants, family tutors, and boarding parents
- The distinct needs of Asian and Latin American TCKs
- English language learning and the TCK’s mother tongue
- Transition and re-entry to the passport culture
The teaching sessions will take place online - details to come.
Choose from one of two options.
Option 1: 25 July to 5 August 2021
For all staff with a role in a dorm or boarding home, plus all with a teaching role who do not have a teaching qualification.
- Online time via Zoom.Introductions on Sunday evening 25 July (BST). Last session on Thursday afternoon 5 August (BST).
Option 2: 25 July to 31 July 2021
For all qualified teachers, plus non-teaching staff who will not have a dorm or boarding home role.
- Online time via Zoom. Introductions on Sunday evening 25 July (BST). Last session on Friday afternoon 31 July (BST).
Steve and Gill are the WEC International MK Consultants and your hosts. They worked for a number of years at Bourofaye Christian School in Senegal, West Africa.
Visiting speakers from WEC and other agencies take some seminars, and contributions are made from the experiences of MK staff and MKs themselves.
This year we are offering the course free of charge.
If you are unsure as to which dates to attend, get in touch. To find out more about this course or to book a place please email Gill.
When & Where
Option 1: Online
Calendar Icon 25 July 2021, 10:00 — 5 August 2021, 17:00 Marker Icon Online
Option 2: Online
Calendar Icon 25 — 31 July 2021, 10:00 - 17:00 Marker Icon ONLINE